Ona pia: meta:Wikipedia_Embassy
|Karibu kwenye ubalozi wa wikipedia ya Kiswahili! Ukiwa na matangazo au maswali kuhusu mambo ya kimataifa ya wikipedia kwa jumla au kuhusu wikipedia hii ya Kiswahili unakaribishwa kuyaandika hapa chini au kwenye ukurasa wa majadiliano ya makala hii.||Welcome to the embassy of the Swahili-speaking Wikipedia! If you have any announcements or questions regarding international issues or the Swahili Wikipedia, you are invited to post them here or to the Talk page for this article.|
Improving the translation support for the Swahili WikipediaEdit
Content translation has been successful in supporting the translation process on many Wikipedia communities, and we want to help additional wikis with potential to grow using translation as part of a new initiative.
Content translation facilitates the creation of Wikipedia articles by translating content from other languages. It has been used already to create more than half a million articles. In addition, the tool provides mechanisms to encourage the creation of good quality content, preventing the publication of lightly edited machine translations. In general, our analysis shows that the translations produced are less likely to be deleted than the articles started from scratch.
Swahili Wikipedia editors have used Content translation to create more than 300 articles. Given the size of the editing community, we think that there is potential to use translation to create more articles, expand existing ones, and attract new editors that learn how to make productive edits. Translation can help the community to reduce the language gap with other languages and grow the number of editors in a sustainable way. In order to achieve this goal, we want to collaborate with you to make Content translation more visible in the Swahili Wikipedia and support new ways to translate.
As a first step, during the next weeks we plan to enable Content translation by default on the Swahili Wikipedia. That will make it easy for users to discover the tool through several entry points. However, users not interested in translation will still be able to disable it from their preferences.
Please feel free to share any comment in this conversation thread.
- Thanks for acknowledging the contribution of Swahili Wikipedia editors regarding translation of articles.
- I hope the translation tool you are about to implement will be better than other currently tools since for Swahili language there have been a problem in mostly of machine directly translations since word to word translation might not have an exactly meaning after translation thus for new users who might be interested in using the translation tools might result to many articles with less Swahili meaning to meaning words. Reminding that in Swahili Wikipedia there are few Admins to patrol over the contents.
- Thanks!- Czeus25 Masele (majadiliano) 05:59, 25 Februari 2020 (UTC)
- Thanks for the feedback, Czeus25 Masele. You bring very valid concerns. One advantage of Content Translation is that it applies a set of limits that prevent users from publishing lightly edited machine translation. These limits can be adjusted based on the needs of each community. That is, we can adjust the tool to prevent from publishing a translation which still contains X% of unmodified machine translation.
- To better understand the current situation, I measured the articles created with Content Translation during the last year in Swahili Wikipedia. During this period, few translations were created with Content translation, and their deletion ratio was lower than for other articles created from scratch: 215 translations were created using Content translation and only 0.9% were deleted, while 9.1K articles were created with other tools with 1.2% of them being deleted. These numbers suggest that the volume and quality of translations seems appropriate. But these are just numbers. We are definitely interested in hearing more from native speakers who can tell us in more detail how the tool works for them. Thanks!--Pginer-WMF (majadiliano) 12:41, 26 Februari 2020 (UTC)
- Hello everyone. We have enabled Content translation by default on the Swahili Wikipedia.
- Now it is easy for users to discover the tool through several entry points. However, users not interested in translation can disable it from their preferences.
- We expect this will help translators to create more content of good quality in Swahili. We’ll be monitoring the statistics for Swahili as well as the list of articles created with the tool. Content translation provides quality control mechanisms to prevent the abuse of machine translation and the limits can be adjusted based on the needs of each community. Please, feel free to share your impressions about the content created and how the tool works for the community. This feedback is essential to improve the tool to better support your needs.
- Thanks! --Amir E. Aharoni (WMF) (majadiliano) 14:04, 9 Machi 2020 (UTC)